Wednesday, April 8, 2020

When did God take the Form of God?



The following is written in the spirit of speculation.

If we assume that God in His original and enduring state is one of non-materiality, essentially in essence only mind, then it makes sense that when interacting with humanity (and other beings such as angels for that matter) God would take on material form. It also makes sense that this form would be human in appearance. Here’s an example: In Genesis three angels (or messengers) are spending time with Abraham. One of the three was designated as God (or Lord).
“Then the Lord appeared to Abraham at the oaks of Mamre while he was sitting in the entrance of his tent during the heat of the day.  He looked up, and he saw three men standing near him. When he saw them, he ran from the entrance of the tent to meet them and bowed to the ground. Then he said, “My lord, if I have found favor in your sight, please do not go on past your servant.  Let a little water be brought, that you may wash your feet and rest yourselves under the tree. I will bring a bit of bread so that you may strengthen yourselves. This is why you have passed your servant’s way. Later, you can continue on.”
“Yes,” they replied, “do as you have said.”
 “So Abraham hurried into the tent and said to Sarah, “Quick! Knead three measures of fine flour and make bread.” Meanwhile, Abraham ran to the herd and got a tender, choice calf. He gave it to a young man, who hurried to prepare it.  Then Abraham took curds and milk, and the calf that he had prepared, and set them before the men. He served them as they ate under the tree.
“Where is your wife Sarah?” they asked him.
“There, in the tent,” he answered.
 “The Lord said, “I will certainly come back to you in about a year’s time, and your wife Sarah will have a son!” Now Sarah was listening at the entrance of the tent behind him. 
Abraham and Sarah were old and getting on in years. Sarah had passed the age of childbearing.  So she laughed to herself: “After I have become shriveled up and my lord is old, will I have delight?”
“ But the Lord asked Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh, saying, ‘Can I really have a baby when I’m old?’ Is anything impossible for the Lord? At the appointed time I will come back to you, and in about a year she will have a son.” (Genesis 18: 1-14 HCSB)
Here’s an interesting passage in Galatians:
“I beg you, brothers: Become like me, for I also became like you. You have not wronged me; you know that previously I preached the gospel to you because of a physical illness. You did not despise or reject me though my physical condition was a trial for you. On the contrary, you received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus Himself.” (Galatians 4:12-14 HCSB)
Let’s do a thought experiment. Over time as God developed a relationship with humanity, He utilized his cadre of messengers in making contact. It was a form of a test or apprenticeship. He was gauging which messenger was best at relating and conveying His essence.
If God can assume the form of an earthly human being (Re: Jesus), why He couldn’t also assume the form of a celestial messenger? And not just one, but many with varying results? (Stratification of messengers into two camps (good and evil) probably began long before Garden of Eden. See last few chapters in the Book of Daniel.)
I’m suggesting that God moved from a series of temporary theophanies to a permanent theophany. A passageway as it were that was a conduit to humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment